Thanksgiving Safety Tips - Pandemic Edition
Last Thanksgiving was weird enough. But let's talk about this year. Thanksgiving still isn't the same, but at least we can feel some relief from the progression in combating COVID-19. Though things are looking more hopeful, we should still keep up the good work of cleanliness.
With festivities around the corner, we here at SERVPRO of Cenreville, Marion & Selma want to share what YOU need to know to keep your family safe this year. We also want to share the other major safety hazard... house fires. House fires can begin in an instant, normally because cooking is left unattended in the kitchen.
Wonder what you can do to stay safe and keep your kitchen under control? Follow these simple safety tips on preventing fires. In addition, due to widespread fear on the pandemic we have also included some safety tips to help prevent the spread of the virus.
Fire Safety Tips
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stove top so you can keep an eye on the food.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking and check on frequently on your dishes.
- Keep children away from the stove by at least 3 feet.
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children — up high in a locked cabinet.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them by pushing the test button.
COVID-19 Safety Tips
- Save the fine china. Disposable utensils/cups/plates not only keeps germs from piling in your sink, but also less cleanup afterwards.
- Keep two trashcans out to help prevent germy trash laying around.
- Have germ-x available at your entrance and the beginning of the food line.
- Avoid crowding around in the kitchen or any other food-preparation areas.
- Use single-use options, like salad dressing and condiment packets.
- If the weather is right, why not put up tables and eat outside?
- If that's not an option, bring in fresh air by opening windows and doors to allow circulation.
- Ideally, we suggest keeping your guest list minimal.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and items between use.
- Call us to aid your cleaning needs!
We are here for all of your cleanup and fire restoration needs. Make sure that you're practicing fire safety this Holiday season and exercising precaution with company this year.