Pop-Up Showers and the Damage They Leave Behind
Summer thunderstorms can “pop up” out of nowhere. Most will be harmless and leave that pesky, humid air behind. However, others can leave downed trees, power loss, and cause flash flooding.
Our advice is to remain weather aware. Meteorologists can often predict what is coming. Unfortunately, summer showers do not always give them the advanced notice we would like. So, how do you stay prepared if you are not sure when severe weather will strike?
- Have multiple sources to receive weather alerts. Battery-powered radios, weather apps, and local weather stations are all fantastic assets to have on hand.
- Watch for cumulonimbus and stratocumulus clouds. Learn what each type of cloud means and how to spot signs of potential bad weather.
- Secure all your belongings. High winds can turn unsecured objects into missiles. Loose items such as lawn furniture and children's toys should be stored away when not in use.
- Keep your trees ten to fifteen feet away from the house. Seek professional help to cut down trees that are dying or appear unstable.
- Have an emergency kit readily available. Keep first aid items, flashlights, and batteries on hand. It is also a great idea to keep a camp stove nearby that you can use during power outages.
Thunderstorms, also known as electrical storms or lightning storms, are characterized by the presence of lightning and its acoustic effect on the Earth's atmosphere, known as thunder. Although most thunderstorms are harmless, they can cause massive problems including floods, hail, and roof damage. More potent thunderstorm cells are capable of producing tornadoes and waterspouts.
On average, only ten percent of all severe thunderstorms reach the destructive category each year. Most of these more significant, more intense storms are damaging wind events. During these storms, the most important thing you can do is to remain calm and call a professional, (like SERVPRO of Centreville, Marion & Selma), when damage occurs.
What will SERVPRO do?
Once we receive the call, our team dispatches immediately to head to your home. Our owner, Travis Boyd, will assess the damage and create a restoration plan unique to your needs while keeping you posted. Whether your home is hit by lightning, the roof is caving in, or a tree is not part of your living room décor, SERVPRO is ready to make it “Like it never even happened."
One of the most complex parts of our jobs is witnessing disastrous events with homes. We may see it every day but watching someone's home get torn apart never gets easier. Our team's work ethic, compassion, and desire to make a difference is our driving force behind assisting our community in their time of need. #communitysupport